Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Friday, October 14, 2011
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Hmm, so I have a few quiet minutes here with the laptop. I've ignored my blog for too long but now that I have the time to sit down and write a post, I have absolutely no idea what I want to say.
Solution? Random thoughts in a bullet points list, of course!
- My struggle to lead a more disciplined life continues. I've had a lot of success losing weight these last 10 months and that has certainly required a lot of discipline. Heck, it's the most success I've ever had as I've discussed several times on this blog. I've just got to find a way to be more disciplined in other areas as well.
- Since I started this blog as a place to capture my thoughts about running, I'll point out that's one area that I'm still lacking discipline. I'm in the midst of training for the Medoc Trail Races in October. It's so freakin' hot here in NC that I'm having a hard time getting in my mid-week runs. I really, really, REALLY need to get these runs out of the way and do them in the early morning. And again, we go back to the lack of discipline thing. I am not a morning person - never have been. I swear it's like my semi-awake, early-morning self is another person. I go to bed with the best intentions to get up early. But that other person takes over and my feet never even hit the floor.
- Speaking of waking up early, school starts in 5 weeks. Yikes! Kate will be in the 6th grade and Will starts kindergarten. I can't think about that too much yet. I just can't believe he's old enough for school ...
- It may be stifling hot outside (even now at 9:00 pm), but it's very cool in my house (my husband Taylor and I definitely have different ideas of what room temperature really is). I stopped writing for a few minutes so I could put on my pajamas and socks.
- Kate's softball team has a tournament this weekend in Angier. The temps are supposed to be around 100. Already dreading it even though we love watching her team play.
- I'm thinking of giving Taylor a short list of running "things" that I'd like to have for my birthday in October. I really don't want to put anything big on that list (although a Garmin would obviously be nice). The first item I've thought of is a fuel belt. I enjoy having a bottle with me but my handheld has started leaking so I need something else. It would be nice to have my hands free. Christy has a Nathan fuel belt for women that she recommends. Anybody else have any suggestions for a fuel belt or other gift ideas?
- We have Vacation Bible School next week. The pictures taken of me last year during VBS were what finally gave me the motivation to take control of my eating and lose weight. So, in honor of the changes I've made during this past year, here's a "before and after" collage of pictures to close this post. Based on the noise my children are making, I think my quiet time with the computer is over for now ...
|What a difference a year makes|
Friday, June 17, 2011
But, even though, the effort associated with running has improved so much I've discovered that my pacing still completely sucks. I feel like I'm running at generally the same (although slow) pace most of the time, but my runkeeper app shows some strange peaks and valleys still.
Maybe it's just the GPS/app software? Yeah, that's what I'll blame it on.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Friday, June 3, 2011
A lot has changed since September. I'm still kind of in shock.
|The pictures that started it all (don't look at the hair, it was very hot) - late July 2010|
|My "official" Body by Vi "before" picture September 2010 - so bad that I rarely show it to anybody|
|The most current "after" picture - completed by the huge smile|
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
|There were 26 total comments|
|I plugged those numbers into random.org|
|I counted to 10 (I'm talented that way)|
Thursday, May 26, 2011
My daughter Kate has been following Idol this entire season and is a huge Scotty fan. She absolutely loves country music (spending a huge amount of time with her grandfather is the primary reason for that). The fact that he is from North Carolina just makes him even better in her eyes. So when he advanced to the finals last week and the plans for the huge finale party were announced, I decided to surprise her with a trip to the RBC Center in Raleigh.
Even though I haven't watched Idol in many years, I have to admit I had just as much fun as she did. It was very exciting being in a coliseum with 12,000 or so screaming fans. The RBC Center is also home to NC State University basketball and that made the night even more fun as Mr. and Mrs. Wuf entertained the crowd (I'm an NCSU grad). It's hard not to smile and have fun when you're in an atmosphere like that, especially when your daughter has just declared that you're the best mom ever.
I'm posting a few pictures taken with my phone camera, so excuse the quality. We'll both have those memories forever, but it's nice to preserve them here, too.
|Loving the poster of Scotty with Mr. Wuf|
|Approximately 1/4 of the crowd|
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Hopefully, you've also read my prior posts written during my first BBV challenge. They're not all about Body by Vi and ViSalus Sciences, but I think you'll be able to pick up on my enthusiasm about how great I'm feeling in those posts. I've lost a total of 23 pounds and at least that many inches since September 2010 (I really need to update my measurements). So now I've started my third 90 day challenge with the focus of losing the last 10 pounds or so and build lean muscle.
From the website ...
ViSalus Sciences® enhances the lives of our members through incentives and rewards designed to create new experiences, build relationships, and create lasting memories. Click to learn more.
ViSalus™ offers a line of innovative wellness products developed by a world class Scientific Advisory Board and backed by some of the most advanced scientific technology available. Click to learn more.
ViSalus™ gives people of any experience level or educational background the entrepreneurial opportunity to grow and fulfill their financial potential in this exciting industry. Click to learn more.
Monday, May 16, 2011
If you've taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you're new, please take a moment to answer this week's question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers.
Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it's time for this week's topic!
Friday, May 13, 2011
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
The project is almost complete although there are repairs to be made to the floor that can't be seen in this picture. Obviously, this empty room means all of the den furniture is in other parts of the house. The demolition that has since been cleaned up left plaster dust all over everything, so there's the added chaos of washing everything in the kitchen. The calm in the middle of the storm: the day's 2 shakes and my morning coffee!
Of course, it could always be worse. My husband's office literally no longer exists. The tornadoes in NC destroyed his building leaving him with an unwanted skylight. Thankfully, the tornado hit on a Saturday when the office and other commercial buildings were empty. God is good!
I know I'll face some unique challenges during this third 90 day challenge. I have many positives in my life that will help me overcome the obstacles: a supportive family, motivation to succeed and a great arsenal of tools at my disposal. Stay tuned for updates!
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Mile 1: 11:09
Mile 2: 22:17 (11:08)
Mile 3: 34:13 (11:56)
Mile 4: 46:01 (11:48)
8k: 57:32 (11:31)
Chip time 57:31 - instant PR since it's a new distance for me!
69/107 overall men & women, 12/21 40-49 females
Taylor - 49/107 overall men & women, 8/11 40-49 men 50:59 chip time. I am so proud - this was his very first race ever!
Thursday, March 10, 2011
- I'm still doing really well with my weight loss, nutrition and fitness. I'm at my lowest weight in years - 158.5 this morning. I found my wellness program numbers from 2008 a few weeks ago. I was 188 that August which I believe is my heaviest non-pregnancy weight. Most of those 30 pounds have been lost since September 2010 when I started my Body by Vi challenge. I feel so good and am so energized that I now go to the gym 3 mornings a week at 5:30 a.m. I'm not exactly jumping out of bed with a huge smile on my face at 4:50 a.m. in order to make the 20-minute drive into town, but I love it afterwards. Tuesday and Thursday mornings are group classes with hand weights and steps. I am a drippy, sweaty mess afterwards but it's an incredible way to start the day. Wednesday mornings are treadmill runs, which oddly enough, I really enjoy. I guess it's because I don't normally have easy access to a treadmill so I try to turn it into a speedwork session. Routinely hitting the gym this early in the morning is a HUGE accomplishment for me as I have never been a morning person!
- The Canal Half Marathon is this weekend. This is the half I ran last year with such a horribly slow time thanks to the muddy trail. It's also the event that started an emotional downward spiral that made my self-confidence hit an all-time low. My plan since last fall has been to conquer it this year. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. I didn't stick to my training plan close enough and my right heel still gives me problems for a few days after long runs. But here's the positive outcome. I downgraded to the 8k and best of all, my husband Taylor is going to run it with me. After 2 1/2 years, he's finally given in to my pleadings to join me in this "running thing." He won't admit it quite yet, but I think he enjoys it (sweetie, in case you're reading this, just agree with me).
- The ACC tournament starts today - my absolute favorite time of the year when it comes to sports. I have to say it since it's my alma mater ... go wolfpack! I don't think there's much of a chance we'll play any more this year after tonight's game with Maryland, but it would be wonderful to be wrong.