Friday, January 1, 2010

A Year's Worth of Progress

I have a few minutes to blog while everybody else is otherwise occupied. Taylor and his sisters are with their mother shopping. Kate is hanging out with her Papa. Will is playing with the Wii. So I've decided to geek out a little bit and look at my online log from Buckeye Outdoors more closely.

I've thought about Monday's post a lot and realized I was way too critical of myself. 2009 was a very good running year for me. It was the first complete year of running and I did improve a lot even though I had some lazy times during the year when I just didn't want to do anything at all. Here's a colorful look at December 2008 vs. 2009.

Running Summary - Dec. 2008 Dec. 2009
Runs: 4 13
Avg. Time: 00:21:55 00:30:54
Total Time:01:27:43 06:41:54
Avg. Speed: 4.7 MPH 4.9 MPH
Avg. Mi Pace: 12:53 12:21
Avg. Dist.: 1.7 Mi 2.5 Mi
Total Dist.: 6.8 Mi 32.5 Mi


I improved in all of those categories, especially the number of runs and total distance. December 2009 was much more consistent and I am very proud of that. My speed even improved (I know I shouldn't even be thinking about speed, but it's hard not to!). At least three of the 2009 runs were with Kate and I let her dictate the run/walk intervals. If I take those runs out, I actually averaged slightly under 12:00 minute miles.

I'm excited about what it will look like next year when I have another year of running under my belt, so to speak. Giving myself credit for my accomplishments is something that I need to do more often, so I'm glad I took the time to geek out a little this afternoon.

Here's to a great 2010! Now, back to the Wii ...

3 comments:

  1. It's not always how far or how fast you run. It's mostly about having fun, being thankful you're able to run, and if your time and distance improves, even better! Glad to see you have a more positive perspective. Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe what I had accomplished in 2009 until I went back and wrote it all down. I really like your idea of comparing to 2008 because that really shows the improvements. I was thinking maybe even starting a draft post now for 2010 so as I had accomplishments I could write them down. But that way if I was feeling like I hadn't done anything, I'd already have a list showing that I had made progress. Great job on a successful 2009 and you'll continue going forward in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your accomplishments - you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete